How is everyone doing? Well, I hope. Despite being a public health worker and knowing an outbreak happening of this magnitude was only a matter of time, I’m still in shock. Praying that COVID-19 slows down sooner rather than later. Sadly, the reality is that we probably still have a while to go before we can get back to life as we knew it.
Everywhere I turn, I see people pulling together and supporting one another. It’s really great. While cooped up in the house, I have had a chance to pull together at-home workouts, cook up a storm and have endless cuddle sessions with Reese and Ryan.
On top of that, I’ve put into place a few mindful practices to keep my mind and soul healthy while staying at home. Here are the tips that I feel can really help you also.
Tips For Practicing Mindful Selfcare During Tough Times
- Limit your news intake and definitely try to limit your social media use.
- Work on self-discipline and self-responsibility (try not to drink alcohol daily, etc.)
- It’s really important to implement structure to your days. Try to wake up at the same time daily, go for your daily walks, keep set eating times, etc.
- Challenge yourself every day. Try to learn something new. Online tutorials abound right now along with online courses offered up by many colleges and universities. So far, I have learned countless smoothie recipes, mastering Tiktok editing (lol) and how to properly groom a dog.
- Ground yourself everyday. Now is a great time to start meditating.
- Practice a little yoga – very calming and soothing.
- Write a short list of things you are grateful for every single day. Try to start the day with this. Does wonders for the mood.
- Connect with your friends and loved ones. Check in on those you feel may be in need and require that extra connection.
- Eat healthy!
- Drink lots of water. I have been starting every single day with a big glass of lukewarm lemon water with a pinch of Himalayan salt. The lemon water is a detoxifying immune booster, and the salt helps you retain hydration.
- Exercise daily! It doesn’t have to be a huge workout. Walk your dog, do an ab workout, do a little yoga. Do something that gets your blood flowing.
- Make sure you are getting enough rest. Eight hours of sleep (at least) does the mind, body and soul good.
- Give yourself a big hug.
How are you staying positive during the COVID-19 outbreak?