Recently, a girlfriend of mine had lip fillers and I was surprised to find out that she wasn’t thrilled with the procedure. She stated that it really hurt and sadly, a small lump had formed at the corner of her top lip. This was due to the improper injecting technique used by the nurse practitioner who had injected the product. I felt for her and wondered what went wrong…and that’s when I thought I would do some research and put together a list of things you should know before going under the needle.
FULL DISCLOSURE: I have not had lip injections, but I did speak to the lovely Dr. Sam Hetz of Concept Medical to find out what exactly you need to know before plumping up your pout. If you are looking to have any cosmetic procedures done, Concept Medical is the place to go. I did a full write-up on this beautiful clinic which you can read here, and did undergo botox, cheek and chin fillers under Dr. Hetz’s careful hand. You can watch the video on that procedure here:
1. Research Your Doctor
STEP AWAY FROM THE GROUPON DEAL. Take the time to find yourself a board-certified doctor. The physics of the face are very precise. A knowledgeable, trained injector will be able to administer just the right amount of product to give you a subtle look.
Ask for references, study the pictures of his or her past work carefully and ask as many questions as you need to in order to feel comfortable and secure in your decision. Poor injection technique can result in serious complications like nerve damage and/or worse – necrosis (death of tissue).
2. Determine What Type Of Filler Will Be Right For You
3. Bigger Is Not Always Better
Lip fillers really should look natural, not fake or overdone. A proper lip augmentation will look like your own lips but subtly plumped and enhanced.
This is a buildable procedure too. You can always go a little bigger if you are unsatisfied with your first enhancement.
4. It Shouldn’t Hurt
Your lip enhancement really shouldn’t hurt. An experienced injector will use a topical numbing gel or freeze inside the mouth to numb the lips. This is key to providing a pain-free treatment.
5. When Do You See The Results?
6. Does It Feel Natural?
7. How Long Does It Last?
8. What If You Don’t Like The Result?
9. The Cost
Other Things To Consider
- That “duck lip” look is caused by too much filler too soon. Go slow and have small amounts of filler injected over two or three sessions. This will help your lips maintain their natural shape.
- Your teeth support your lips, so uneven teeth can cause a little unevenness in lips.
- Don’t forget to look at your face as a whole and consider how fuller lips will affect the proportions of your face. Volume loss in other areas affects the way your lips look!
- Remember, there is nothing wrong with undergoing treatments that help you feel better and more confident. Don’t let anyone make you feel guilty about your decisions.
I’m hoping these tips will help you with your lip enhancement decision-making. Have you tried lip fillers? How did it go?
If you are considering lip enhancement, I highly recommend Concept Medical. The clinic is run by a very competent team of physicians who focus on aesthetic medicine and medical skin procedures. Concept Medical is located at 11 Holland Avenue, Suite 400. Feel free to book a consultation with one of their very knowledgeable physicians by calling (613) 829-1266 or by emailing them using the contact form on their website.
*In collaboration with Concept Medical. Please note that I have had several different treatments at this clinic (for which I have paid for myself) ranging from laser hair removal to fillers, and have been thrilled with each result.