About three months ago, Ashley of Sed Bona (one of my favourite blogs ever), published this post regarding eight important things every happy woman should have. I felt it was such an endearing post that spoke directly to me, and would resonate with my friends, family and readers.
Over the past couple of years, I have spent a lot of time reflecting on things I could do to better myself and live a happier, positive and “truer” life. I really enjoy learning and discovering new things, and I feel to do so, you need to declutter your life and really think about what brings you happiness.
Have a read and let me know what you think!
8 Things Every Happy Woman Should Have:
1. A Go-To-Drink: Red wine…specifically Shiraz, Syrah or Amarone. Unfortunately, in some horrible twist of fate, I have developed an allergy to red wine. Every now and then, I sneak a few sips and brave the impending head-to-toe hives. Le sigh…
2. A Go-To Karaoke Song: Umm…I hate karaoke. Can’t do it. That being said, I love belting out some awesome girl rock, like Joan Jett’s Do Ya Wanna Touch Me?
3. A Uniform: Black distressed skinnies, low-cut black boyfriend tee, my gold bar necklace, my black leather moto jacket and black strappy heels…well, I want this to be my uniform. You will most likely find me in work appropriate floral dresses.
4. A Hairstylist They Love: Gloria at Hairworld and Dorothy at York Street Spa (she has since moved to NYC).
5. An Exercise Routine: Running a few times a week with weight training thrown in. I think about doing yoga more than I actually do yoga.
6. A Hobby: Scouring eBay for great finds, usually fine china, flatware and crystal. I like all aspects of my life to be pretty!
7. A Best Friend: My husband. Yep – I’m one of those. I married my best friend. The couple who goofs off together, stays together. I’m also incredibly fortunate to be best friends with a couple of women who pretty much inspire me on a daily basis. They are both Einstein-smart, supportive, full of zest for life, funny, witty, gorgeous, stylish…the whole nine yards. I’m particularly lucky to also be blessed with the best two sisters in the world. My heart beats for them.
8. A Healthy Sense of Self: It took a long time for me to get where I am today – happy, loved, healthy and successful. I grew up pretty insecure – something I was painfully aware of, so I masked it with my huge sense of humour and big mouth, two things that got me into trouble a lot. Well, let’s be honest…still get me into trouble. As I grew up, made more friends with more diverse backgrounds, experienced the world, and most of all, looked within to discover what truly made me happy, those insecurities fell away. Instead of worrying about being popular, being prettier, being thinner, being smarter (damn you, math class!!), I learned to love myself for who I am, faults and all. I’m not perfect – I’m the first to admit that. It took a long time for me to realize that being judgmental and mean were really projections of oneself. It also took a long time to learn empathy and to put oneself in another’s shoes. Just because that person is being a real b*tch, doesn’t mean she’s evil. It means that she probably had a terrible morning, something bad happened to her that was out of her control, she’s dealing with things we can’t understand, etc. For this understanding, I thank Ryan, Vanessa, Lucie, Erika and Alice for checking me constantly. I now know what I’m capable of, especially when I put my mind to it. Sometimes it scares me how determined I can get!
What makes you happy?