Happy Wednesday, All!
Life has been treating me particularly well lately! My gorgeous husband finally came home from his overseas work assignment, I’ve been attending a ton of fun events in my lovely city, a good friend just eloped (and we are thrilled for her!), and summer is starting! LOVE!!!
With all this great stuff happening, I thought I would take a moment to give a little thanks and reflect on how I could make my life even better and continue on this positivity train! So, here is a list of things I am going to start doing a little more in my life. Read on!
- Breathe a little deeper. My life can get pretty hectic and our society really “glorifies busyness”. I can get pretty anxious and stressed, which has led to a panic attack or two. Not cool. When I’m home alone – I can’t sit still. I’m always cleaning, rearranging, organizing, writing, gardening, chasing the cat, etc. I want to start meditating. The act of taking a moment to just stop and take a deep breath is cleansing, relaxing and centering.
- Drink even more water. I drink a ton of water already, but I need more. When I’m at work, I can usually down about a 1.5 litres in a typical work day. That is not the case when I’m at home though – I don’t know why. What I do know is that water is extremely good for you, and we could all stand to flush out all those toxins we take in on a daily basis. I remember drinking an absolute ton of water when my allergies were terrible as it was the only thing that soothed my terrible hacking cough. While I felt terrible, my skin glowed. Everyone noticed and complimented me. I want that look back! Haha!
- Start doing yoga. I have been saying this to myself FOREVER now. While I love the idea of yoga, I have always thought that it looks really boring. I am used to running hard, doing weights and exercise classes like Shred and Pump. I like to get my sweat on and love the feeling of being sore a day or two after a good workout. I always felt that yoga would never provide that. My good friend Vanessa explained that yoga most certainly provides an awesome workout and she has the toned arms to prove it. Also, I love the idea of a calm, slow Hatha yoga class to calm the nerves after a hectic work day and just concentrate on relaxing and breathing. I also love the idea of shopping for cute yoga clothes. Always gotta work that shopping angle!
- Read more. I have had a stack of unread books on my nightstand for as long as I can remember. I want to get reading more! I am a non-fiction lover, and love getting totally absorbed by a good read. God knows it will be better for me than watching Bethenny Frankel scream her way through Real Housewives of New York.
- Turn off all of my electronic gadgets an hour before bedtime. Sometimes my husband looks at me and laughs while I simultaneously scroll through my iPhone, watch YouTube videos on the iPad, and flip through a good Harper’s Bazaar. I know that the light emitted by my beloved tech friends (yes, I treat my iPhone and iPad like best friends) is overstimulating and greatly affects sleep patterns. Do I really need to check my Instagram for the thousandth time that day right before bed? No. What I need to do is get more sleep!
- Be less judgmental and more empathetic and forgiving. This is something I’ve been working on for a long time and I’m much better than I used to be. Being judgmental is not only mean, it’s a reflection on the judgmental person’s character. While it’s easy to dismiss a rude or negative person as a jerk, there may be a reason for that jerky behaviour. “Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.” Sage words.
- Challenge myself more. There are a few things that I’d like to do but I’m just too chicken (or lazy) to try. I want to learn to rollerblade (I’m a pretty good skater), I want to save more money, I want to better my French speaking skills, I want to complete a triathlon, I WANT TO START YOGA (hahaha), I want to learn to knit, etc. I love to learn new things and need to take the time to do so. I’m going to add these to my “Goal List” that I look at on a daily basis (well, the “save more money” goal has been there for years…*hangs head in shame*).
What are some things that you want to do to better yourself? What do you think of this list? Please go ahead and comment away!