I couldn’t think of a better time for over-the-knee (OTK) boots to be in. We are enjoying an unseasonably warm winter with highs approaching a downright balmy 10ºC on most days.
I have to admit, I was a little worried when I saw this trend taking over. I couldn’t help but think of Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman, prancing around the city in tacky, black, patent leather thigh high boots as Richard Gere inexplicably took an interest in her…a prostitute with a heart of gold. Cue eye-roll.
Thankfully, the fashion gods offered us mere mortals all types of options that are much easier to wear – from Stuart Weitzman’s runaway success Highland and Lowland boots, to the many, much more affordable styles out there.
So, don’t turn your nose up to this flattering trend….that would be a big mistake. Big. HUGE.
Read on to discover how to wear this challenging trend suitable for all body types. And I don’t want to hear any “I’m too short for those!” There are options out there for everybody. Now go get your “sexy” on.
My OTK boot details: Soft Flat Boot, Zara, $89.90 CAD
- Pair your boots with skinnies and an oversized top. This look is probably the easiest way to wear the OTK boot trend. Skinny jeans give a slimming silhouette that tucks nicely into the boots, while the oversized chunky sweaters and chunky crop tops that are every where right now balances out the sexiness of the boots.
- Little miniskirts with OTK boots look AWESOME. A super sexy look, tight-fitting boots which reach mid-thigh leaving just a little skin in between the skirt and boots, is super on trend. Keep the look monochromatic which will ensure a really stylish presence. Also, be sure to balance out this outfit by covering up the upper body with a snug-fitting turtleneck or crew neck top. If you are going to wear these boots with a miniskirt – NO CLEAVAGE. You want to look like you stepped off the runway and not off a street corner!!
- OTK boots look so great with a short flirty dress! A great way to casually rock your boots.
- Pair your boots with a long dress. OTK boots look especially great with the cool midi-length A-line dresses with slits as shown below on Emily Ratajkowski. Have a bunch of great knee-length wrap dresses? Pair your boots with those too.
- I’m seeing a lot of shorts with OTK boots. Again, this is a casual look, so throw on a nice button down or loose sweater, add a blazer and BAM! Pinterest fashion inspiration.
How do you pair your OTK boots? Are you more Vivian Ward or Olivia Palermo?