So, you’ve been invited to your first polo match! Thoughts of clinking champagne glasses with your friends while watching the “Sport of Kings” swirl through your head. But…what do you wear exactly?
When I was invited to Polo In The Park Ottawa last summer, I asked myself that same question. I immediately took to Google and searched: “Kate Middleton Polo Match” – seriously. There were pictures of the Princess in everything from feminine, flouncy dresses to simple polo shirts paired with skinnies.
Polo is a fancy affair and I wanted to step it up, so I put on a favourite Calvin Klein black dress with a full skirt and a little feathered fascinator from Shepherd’s Fashions. I accessorized with a Louis Vuitton clutch and I was off to Wesley Clover Parks to take in some polo.
When I arrived, I was thrilled to see guests wearing their finest! The day was lovely and I couldn’t help but immortalize it with some pictures.
So, what are my tips for rocking your polo style? One of my goals is to attend The Royal Ascot in England, which has a strict dress code. Strapless dresses and tops are not allowed. Skirts must be of modest length and hats should be worn (fascinators are not allowed – harsh). I’m taking a page out of The Royal Ascot Style Guide for this list of dressing tips.
Polo Styling Guide
- Now is your chance to pull out that fancy cocktail dress that you have been dying to wear! Fun, bright colours are perfect, along with pretty prints.
- The Royal Ascot has added jumpsuits to their list of appropriate attire this year. This is a great look for Polo In The Park Ottawa too. Go for jumpsuits in natural fabrics such as a light wool. Alternatively, lace jumpsuits will offer the perfect formal look.
- Want to wear a dress with skinnier straps? Top it off with a gorgeous pashmina.
- Invest in a great hat or fascinator (fascinators are allowed for this Ottawa event). I’m British and will use any excuse to wear a hat, so I use this opportunity to pull out my favourites. Check out Chapeaux de Madeleine for some amazing, polo-appropriate styles.
- Do not wear anything midriff-baring. Not the time or place.
- Wear some hot shoes and get ready to stomp some divots!
- Gentlemen – seize the day and wear a top hat and morning suit.
Polo Style Inspiration
Polo In The Park Ottawa will be taking place this year at Wesley Clover Parks on Saturday, September 16th from 9am – 6pm. This fun and stylish event will benefit Wounded Warriors Canada and the Wabano Centre for Aboriginal Health. Get your tickets here. The VIP option looks fantastic!
Have fun and let me know what you’ll be wearing!