Floral Print Caftan – Shein | Crossbody Purse (in black) – Forever 21 | Jamie Jeans – Topshop | Sissel Sandals – Pedro Garcia | Nails – Cajun Shrimp – OPI (hands), Covent Garden – Nails Inc. | Sunglasses (similar) – Forever 21 |
As fashion embraces the “tight fit” with a sea of bodysuits flooding stores, I’m embracing the caftan this summer and unleashing my inner Mrs. Roper.
A timeless staple, the caftan is so versatile. With its free-flowing silhouette, it’s flattering on all shapes and sizes, and perfect for when the temperature shoots up.
I have a few caftans which I normally pack for visits to the beach. This one by SheIn though was too pretty to relegate to the sandy shores. A giant rectangle, I have cinched it with its matching belt and pulled the fabric out a little at the waist to enhance its billowy goodness. Its ruffled edges lend a waterfall-like shape which I find gives this piece an even greater flow and weightlessness.
As this particular style is very sheer, I paired it with my skinny distressed white jeans from Topshop. It’s bateau neckline can also be pulled to the side for a sultry off-the-shoulder look. Sigh – I just love this outfit. SO GOOD!
Some quick caftan styling tips to ensure this flowy look is more “elegance” than “I give up. Throw me that shapeless sack”:
- For a day look, choose a caftan in light fabrics such as linen or cotton. Switch to silks or get your Joan Collins on with a satin caftan. Mental note: Buy satin caftan and look like Joan Collins.
- Pair your caftan with a smaller bag to keep the proportions spot on.
- Printed caftans have a lot going on already so ditch the giant statement necklace and opt for some larger earrings. Plain caftans are offset beautifully by long, sleek necklaces.
- Caftans are forgiving shoe-wise, so go ahead and pair with flats, wedges, sky-high heels. Whatever tickles your fancy feet…
- Want to look extra exotic? Pull your hair back into a bun with a centre part. Throw on some gold hoops. Boom. You’re channelling “Mediterranean fashionista, lounging on a yacht with girlfriends, sipping champagne, while tycoon boyfriend hands you gift cards to Gucci…” I daydream a lot.
Are you a caftan enthusiast like yours truly? Drop me a comment and let me know your thoughts!